Welcome to The Portage Education Association Online!
Here you will find contacts, resources and inspiration. Please let us know how we can support you.
PEA has approximately 470 members. This is made of teachers, counselors, psychologists, speech pathologists, media specialists and other educational professionals.
PEA has approximately 470 members (2017-18). This is made of teachers, counselors, psychologists, speech pathologists, media specialists and other educational professionals.
- ~11 Number of local Executive Board members including the officers. (If no vacant seats.)
- 39 Potential number of building reps based upon ratio 15:1 if there were equal distribution.
- 13 How many functioning school buildings there are in operation in Portage Schools.
- 490 About the number that is employed as 1.0 (full-time) contracted teachers.
- 22 The number of teachers that are typically part-time, contract less than 1.0
- ~225 Number of members primarily assigned at the elementary level
- ~125 Number of members primarily assigned at the middle school level
- ~160 Number of members primarily assigned at the high school level
- fte ‘full-time equivalent’ on salary schedule by level: ~125 fte on BA; ~302 MA; ~44 MA+30\
Finance and Budget
- $89,425 Annual amount of revenue for budget (based upon 470 members paying $175/each)
- $ 175 How much every dues paying member paid toward Portage EA dues yearly
- $ 400 Amount annually from interest on banking/checking accounts
- $ 50 Amount budgeted per building to put toward retirement celebrations annually
- $4,000 Total amount for PEA leaders and members to attend conferences and trainings
- $ 200 Office supply budget
- $ 500 Budgeted for on-line surveys and voting
Salaries & Benefits
- $7,000 includes union dues. Pay reduction of $12,0002017-2018 * President’s annual stipend. ($9.942 after dues)
- $600 Amount paid toward president’s cell phone annually.
- $4,000 Salary of the Chief Negotiator. Paid only when contract negotiations occur.
- $2,700 Vice President’s pay. This includes mandatory membership on negotiating team.
- $1,000 Member of Negotiating team
- $1,700 VP pay
- $1,700 Treasurer’s Pay.
- $1,300 Payment and oversight of government forms and taxes. Also, often the Treasurer.
- $1,700 Secretary pay involves both Executive Board and Representative Council meetings.
- $1,500 Grievance chairperson pay per school year.
- $4,000 Budget amount toward building rep stipends. Based upon $20 per rep and 9 meetings per year. A building’s number of reps is part of the By-Laws and currently a 15:1 ratio.
- $1,000 Stipend for being a member of the negotiating team. Payment only made after contract is fully ratified by both PEA and PPS. Total cost could vary depending upon the size of the team. In SY2012-13 the cost was $3,000 as no additional compensation is made either the President or Chief Negotiator and Vice President salary takes this into account already.